OAP travel insurance
Steve Rainbird
2006-01-14 00:22:18 UTC
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.

Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for his
age and his high blood pressure!

He is a UK resident.
--
Steve

Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally
tigger
2006-01-14 09:44:13 UTC
Post by Steve Rainbird
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for
his age and his high blood pressure!
He is a UK resident.
--
Steve
Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally
i have a kidney problem and the cheapest i could find was
www.worldwideinsure.com. im in my 60's and for 23 days in the states for
self and wife it came to 102gbp. i emphasised the medical condition and got
them to double check the cost as others were considerably higher.

hth
Steve Rainbird
2006-01-14 09:49:56 UTC
Post by tigger
Post by Steve Rainbird
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for
his age and his high blood pressure!
He is a UK resident.
--
Steve
Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally
i have a kidney problem and the cheapest i could find was
www.worldwideinsure.com. im in my 60's and for 23 days in the states for
self and wife it came to 102gbp. i emphasised the medical condition and
got them to double check the cost as others were considerably higher.
hth
Thanks Tigger I will try them

Jan
2006-01-14 10:47:08 UTC
Post by Steve Rainbird
Post by tigger
Post by Steve Rainbird
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him
excessively for his age and his high blood pressure!
He is a UK resident.
--
Steve
Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally
i have a kidney problem and the cheapest i could find was
www.worldwideinsure.com. im in my 60's and for 23 days in the
states for self and wife it came to 102gbp. i emphasised the
medical condition and got them to double check the cost as others
were considerably higher. hth
Thanks Tigger I will try them
If its just High blood pressure it doesn't necessarly push the price of
premiums up. As long as you are having medical check ups and are "stable"- I
know because my husband was diagnosed about 2 years ago. As for insurance
companies My mother has an annual policies and changes companies as they
age load the premiums. She was with "Preference " til she was 72/73. Then
had a year with Lloyds TSB. Now shes with the AA.
Her next port of call is American Express, which will , so they say insure
her indefinately without age loading the premium. as long as she has a
credit card with them.

Jan
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-14 18:44:56 UTC
Post by Steve Rainbird
Post by tigger
Post by Steve Rainbird
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for
his age and his high blood pressure!
He is a UK resident.
--
Steve
Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally
i have a kidney problem and the cheapest i could find was
www.worldwideinsure.com. im in my 60's and for 23 days in the states for
self and wife it came to 102gbp. i emphasised the medical condition and
got them to double check the cost as others were considerably higher.
hth
Thanks Tigger I will try them
I don't know whether any UK credit card companies have
insurance programs, but I also am over seventy, and American
Express has a travel medical policy which only charges me
US $136 per year, and provides coverage up to $100,000 -
including repatriation, if necessary - and will pay to fly a
relative or caregiver to my side if needed. (Of course, it
only covers what my primary insurers will not, but for
USAians with only Medicare and perhaps some form of Medicare
supplement, that generally means EVERYTHING, outside U.S.
borders.)
Alan
2006-01-14 10:43:29 UTC

Take a browse through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1083570446,24889,
.
Alan
irwell
2006-01-14 16:34:53 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:43:29 -0000, "Alan"
Post by Alan
| My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
|
| Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for his
| age and his high blood pressure!
|
| He is a UK resident.
|
| --
| Steve
|
| Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally

Take a browse through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1083570446,24889,
.
Alan
It's not how high the cost of the premium, but whether they will
pay out when needed that should be the criterium.
Steve Rainbird
2006-01-14 17:07:20 UTC
Post by Alan
| My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
|
| Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for his
| age and his high blood pressure!
|
| He is a UK resident.
|
| --
| Steve
|
| Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally

Take a browse through
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1083570446,24889,
.
Alan
It's not how high the cost of the premium, but whether they will
pay out when needed that should be the criterium.
That's true and really why I asked. I hoped somebody might have experience
or knowledge of this.

Of course both would be nice.

BobS
2006-01-16 16:43:02 UTC
Post by Steve Rainbird
My father is 71 and needs travel insurance.
Does anyone know of a company that will not penalise him excessively for
his age and his high blood pressure!
He is a UK resident.
My wife and I (67 & 69) have been insured with www.flexicover.co.uk for a
number of years and found that their rates reasonable. Last year it was
156GPB for the Silver Annual multi trip insurance. We haven't as yet (touch
wood) had to make a claim so can't comment on that part of the service.
Alternatively you could try Saga. HTH BobS
Steve Rainbird

RaT
2006-01-17 07:40:39 UTC
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit but must
be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non cardholders
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-18 16:49:46 UTC
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit but must
be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I
assumed it was only available to USAians.
Jan
2006-01-18 18:48:06 UTC
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit
but must be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non
cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I
assumed it was only available to USAians.
No, definitely British, thats why I suggested Amex. For an annual policy
they are the the cheapest I've found for over 75's - but you have to have
their blue credit card, and either use it for some purchases or pay £15 per
year.

Jan
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-19 03:21:09 UTC
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit
but must be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non
cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I
assumed it was only available to USAians.
No, definitely British, thats why I suggested Amex. For an annual
policy they are the the cheapest I've found for over 75's - but you
have to have their blue credit card, and either use it for some
purchases or pay £15 per year.
Well, I'm in my seventies, have their travel medical policy,
and pay only $136 per year for coverage up to $100,000.
(And I have a fee-free card that pays me an annual rebate
percentage on my purchases.) If they offer insurance (and
card-membership) in other countries, perhaps their offerings
differ among the various countries involved - I thought they
were strictly an American company.
Miss L. Toe
Are you sure you haven't left a few zero's off that number ?
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-19 15:54:27 UTC
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit
but must be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non
cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I
assumed it was only available to USAians.
No, definitely British, thats why I suggested Amex. For an annual
policy they are the the cheapest I've found for over 75's - but you
have to have their blue credit card, and either use it for some
purchases or pay £15 per year.
Well, I'm in my seventies, have their travel medical policy,
and pay only $136 per year for coverage up to $100,000.
Are you sure you haven't left a few zero's off that number ?
Not when one expresses the number American style - don't
Europeans reverse commas and period marks, when writing
numbers? (Up to a hundred thousand per trip seems fairly
adequate coverage to me.)
AJC
2006-01-19 16:42:03 UTC
Post by RaT
[...]
These days, US $100,000 is nothing for medical cover, and if one
intended venturing in to the USA it would be totally inadequate.
--==++AJC++==--
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-20 02:37:45 UTC
Post by RaT
[...]
If I needed medical care that ran into that kind of money, I
wouldn't be traveling! (I doubt whether my medical expenses
for my ENTIRE LIFE have exceeded $10,000 - including a
couple of surgeries.)
--==++AJC++==--
Roland Perry
2006-01-20 07:26:47 UTC
If I needed medical care that ran into that kind of money, I wouldn't
be traveling! (I doubt whether my medical expenses for my ENTIRE LIFE
have exceeded $10,000 - including a couple of surgeries.)
Since you have proven yourself to be invulnerable (to any kind of
accident, let alone a sudden illness like a stroke or heart attack) then
buying insurance is clearly a waste of your money!
Roland Perry
Gregory Morrow
2006-01-20 19:23:05 UTC
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
If I needed medical care that ran into that kind of money, I
(I doubt whether my medical expenses
for my ENTIRE LIFE have exceeded $10,000 - including a
couple of surgeries.)
Earlier this year I spent two nights in hospital (Chicago), a few routine
tests, x - rays, basic medication, no surgery. The amount came to a little
over $10,000.00. The basic room charge was $1200.00 per night...
--
Best
Greg
Martin
2006-01-20 21:22:32 UTC
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:23:05 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
Post by Gregory Morrow
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
If I needed medical care that ran into that kind of money, I
(I doubt whether my medical expenses
for my ENTIRE LIFE have exceeded $10,000 - including a
couple of surgeries.)
Earlier this year I spent two nights in hospital (Chicago), a few routine
tests, x - rays, basic medication, no surgery. The amount came to a little
over $10,000.00. The basic room charge was $1200.00 per night...
I got 8 nights and a two hour operation in a Dutch hospital for
EUR 12,000
Martin
Miss L. Toe
Most of that was the cash extras provided by the nurses.
Martin
2006-01-23 09:34:26 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by Gregory Morrow
over $10,000.00. The basic room charge was $1200.00 per night...
I got 8 nights and a two hour operation in a Dutch hospital for
EUR 12,000
Most of that was the cash extras provided by the nurses.
Another odd view of Holland. Join top posting Tim in the dunces'
corner.
Martin
Miss L. Toe
Martin
David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy
2006-01-23 12:36:55 UTC
Post by Miss L. Toe
Who lost his sense of humor this morning ?
Who lost her sense of Uk spelling? :)
--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Martin
2006-01-23 13:42:06 UTC
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:36:55 +0000, ***@yahoo.com
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
Post by David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy
Post by Miss L. Toe
Who lost his sense of humor this morning ?
Who lost her sense of Uk spelling? :)
UK? :-)
Martin
Miss L. Toe
2006-01-24 02:45:57 UTC
Post by Miss L. Toe
Who lost his sense of humor this morning ?
Who lost her sense of Uk spelling? :)
As I am not in the UK at the moment I felt obligied to follow the local
tradition :-)

Martin
2006-01-23 12:50:38 UTC
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:31:09 -0500, "Miss L. Toe"
Post by Miss L. Toe
Who lost his sense of humor this morning ?
Miss L. Toe?

or is that a her? :-)
Martin
Lansbury
2006-01-19 18:38:06 UTC
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:54:27 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Not when one expresses the number American style - don't
Europeans reverse commas and period marks, when writing
numbers? (Up to a hundred thousand per trip seems fairly
adequate coverage to me.)
I would get £10,000,000 cover with Amex using my blue card, that's about
$17,000,000 on the current exchange rate.
--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup
s***@my-deja.com
2006-01-20 17:36:23 UTC
Post by Lansbury
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Not when one expresses the number American style - don't
Europeans reverse commas and period marks, when writing
numbers? (Up to a hundred thousand per trip seems fairly
adequate coverage to me.)
I would get £10,000,000 cover with Amex using my blue card,
that's about $17,000,000 on the current exchange rate. -- Lansbury
Looking at the Marks & Spencer policy booklet.
Ten million pounds is their standard amount for
Emergency Medical Expenses.
A hundred thousand dollars looks tiny.
Miss L. Toe
2006-01-19 23:06:52 UTC
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit
but must be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non
cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I
assumed it was only available to USAians.
No, definitely British, thats why I suggested Amex. For an annual
policy they are the the cheapest I've found for over 75's - but you
have to have their blue credit card, and either use it for some
purchases or pay £15 per year.
Well, I'm in my seventies, have their travel medical policy,
and pay only $136 per year for coverage up to $100,000.
Are you sure you haven't left a few zero's off that number ?
Not when one expresses the number American style - don't
Europeans reverse commas and period marks, when writing
numbers?
Some do but not all.
and some even use YY/MM/DD for their date format.
At least our UK terrorists were kind by doing their deed on 7/7.
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
(Up to a hundred thousand per trip seems fairly
adequate coverage to me.)
It could run out very quickly if you get involved in a significant accident
and are in hospital for a while with multiple injuries.

And (IMHO) Insurance should be there to cover the large extreme exceptions
that you couldn't afford yourself.
Martin
2006-01-19 23:10:28 UTC
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:06:52 -0500, "Miss L. Toe"
Post by Miss L. Toe
And (IMHO) Insurance should be there to cover the large extreme exceptions
that you couldn't afford yourself.
Yes!

What were the free binary news servers that you posted recently?
Martin
Frank F. Matthews
2006-01-19 01:15:34 UTC
Post by RaT
try American Express Travel Insurance £158 for a year, no age limit
but must be a card holder. Will do single trip cover for non cardholders
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I assumed it was
only available to USAians.
Actually I'm not sure that it is available in the US. They certainly do
not market it much.
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2006-01-19 03:30:49 UTC
Post by Frank F. Matthews
I mentioned that (or rather their medical policy), but I assumed it
was only available to USAians.
Actually I'm not sure that it is available in the US. They certainly do
not market it much.
Well, I live in the U.S., and they certainly "marketed" it
to ME, along with various other types of insurance! (For a
while there, practically every mail delivery seemed to
contain an "offer" of one sort of policy or another from Amex.)

It's far and away the best travel medical policy I've
encountered. I've had to use it a couple of times, and IMO
it has more than paid for itself. (It's true it's a
"back-up" policy, secondary to any other medical insurance
one may have, but for elderly Americans traveling overseas,
it becomes "primary" when neither Medicare nor my Medigap
policy covers outside the U.S.)